Monday, June 13, 2011

Make a Sketch from an Ad

This month Upsy Daisy Design Team Coordinator challenged all the Daisies to use an ad as inspiration for one of their Upsy Daisy projects. Here is the ad she challenged us to use:
What strikes you first about this ad? The design? The colors? The shapes? I think I was first struck by the the grouping of circles and the white space in the design. Then I thought about the colors in Home Sweet Home and thought they would be a perfect match for the colors in the ad.
Once I decided on which collection to use I started to work on the design of my layout. I decided to take the ad and turn it into a sketch.
As you can see, I kept the sketch 8.5x11. I turned the tomato sauce can into the photo. I kept the diagonal design of circles. The ad copy I turned into some journaling lines. The only thing missing was a place for the title, so I added it towards the top in the middle. 
Finally it was time to translate all my choices into an actual layout:
In the actual layout, I decided to use a journaling card with "On this day...." as the title so I moved the journaling up to the top. I layered punched patterned paper circles, smaller punched scalloped circles and these circular brads:
So there you have it...from an ad to a sketch to a layout. If you use either the ad or my sketch for inspiration, I'd love to see!
:) Rebecca

1 comment:

Kim Sonksen said...

Fantastic take on the ad Rebecca. I love that you turned the ad into a sketch - awesome!